Friday, November 13, 2015

the one about school

Gracie does great in school. She loves being home with me, and she really is doing great. 
 
Hanna, on the other hand, gives me a hard time, almost daily. 
 It's totally discouraging for me. I want to feel like I'm doing the right thing by having her at home for school.

Today, she worked so hard for me. It's days like today that make me feel like there's no question about it - I'm doing the right thing. 
She is learning so much. If she was in school, I think she would get lost in the shuffle. Her confidence would be shattered daily, and she just plain old wouldn't be comfortable. 

Here's a couple examples of what kind of work she's doing these days:

 I was very impressed with the pepperoni math page. She did the entire page on her own. I watched as she did it, but she did it all. She counted the pepperonis and then matched them up with the number word. She read those words, and got them all right. That's just awesome.
 This is our "greater than" and "less than" page. I draw out the numbers nice and big for her to see them, and she draws in the right symbol. Pretty good, huh? 

She does a nice, solid load of work every day, and I know how good it makes her feel when she's doing a great job. 

She is very smart, and honestly, I think it would be overlooked in school. I think assumptions would be made about her, and she wouldn't prove herself to anyone. Maybe she would do what they expect from her, but what they expect, maybe wouldn't be enough. I expect a lot  from her. Tough love is what she gets from me, and I think she needs it. 
Quite honestly, I know she needs it. And, from what I'm seeing, it's working. 
 
So, I've come to the conclusion that being home with me, is going to be great for her. 
It already is.
 
Yeah, sometimes she gives me a hard time, A lot of days are very difficult. 
But.
She deserves the best, and I'm choosing to be the best for her.

I've been teaching my girls since the day they were born. 
Naturally, a mother's job is to teach and take care of her kids, and then eventually many will hand them over to a stranger to teach them their formal education.  I have nothing against public schools. But, I've chosen to teach them myself, and I'm taking it very seriously. I know it will be tough, but I also know that it's a gift to have them home and witness their minds growing every single day.  

Gracie had her first sleepover at a friend's house this past weekend. This friend attends public school. She made 13 other friends at this party, and none of them judged her for not attending school. She is confident, and strong, and being home, in a positive environment to help with chores, siblings, and every day family life has helped her become who she is today and who she will grow up to be.  

Hanna is becoming so independent. She knows that she has certain jobs to do every day, and she does them with no complaints. (These are the non-school related jobs. She definitely complains about school.)
I can track what she's learning day to day, and compare my own notes from the month before to see progress. 
If there was no progress, I wouldn't be doing this. I'm teaching it, she's learning it, and we're both seeing it. And that is a fantastic feeling. 

This is my job now, and I feel like it's what I'm supposed to do.

(Now, I just have to remember where this post is, so I can come back and read it every other week to remind myself when I'm having a bad school day.)
:)  
 

No comments: