Sunday, January 1, 2017

2016 Review

I am over the moon to be able to review the year with some great memories.

We've had a healthy year full of joy and laughter. The kids and I sat down before bed tonight and I asked everyone what their favourite memory was of the year. Gracie and Hanna both said Florida.  
Second in line for them was Rocket. (Maybe he was tied with Florida, they couldn't decide.)
Hailey and Ben couldn't decide on what their favourite was, but everyone only had good memories to share, and that is what I was most proud of. 
Of course we had some bad days, like the day we lost our beloved Ritz, but the good days outweighed the bad. 
So, a review for everyone: 
Gracie: My favourite 9 year old. She's an amazing kid, and really takes on the responsibility of biggest sister, and oldest child seriously. She's helped me get kids ready for bed when I'm out searching for a dog in the dark, and she goes out first thing every morning before thinking of anything else, to let out and feed the ducks. 
She helps Gram set the table when we go for our weekly dinner, and always offers to help dry dishes.  
This year she's grown up a lot. In the way of being out of her comfort zone, she's come a long way. I can actually leave them all in the car now if I run quick into a store without her having a panic attack, and she holds the fort if I run to town while Matt sleeps. No major milestones for her this year. All I know is another year down, means another year I got to enjoy her crazy antics and happy-go-lucky attitude. 
Hanna: A good year for Hanna! We've had a very uneventful year. Thank God. She had her cardiology appointment with only good news as a result, and being told to come back in 3 years was amazing. 
She started school with a great attitude, and wanted to learn. Because of this new attitude, she's come a long way with school. I feel like math is finally starting to click, and she's reading sentences. 
This year she's also taken a new interest in drawing and colouring; Something the kid has never been interested in. 
She's grown up alot this past year. The way she thinks things through now and just her attitude when she's put into a situation she's not comfortable with has improved leaps and bounds. 
For example: bathrooms. And new places. She has a much more mature response to these things now. Bottom line, she's growing up. And she's doing it beautifully. It may be a little slower than average, but what's average anyway? It doesn't even matter. All that matters is that she continues to grow, and stays the healthy, energetic, little beauty she is. Her health is always on my mind. Always. But I think she's proving to be strong enough to handle anything thrown her way, so I'll just have faith that she'll always be my little, but mighty warrior of anything she encounters. 



Hailey: She's had a rough year. Well, her teeth have. She's had a lot of work done on her little mouth. Having to be put under in the hospital was nerve racking for me, but she handled it like a rock-star. She's one kid that is ready to just dive in. It doesn't matter what it is. I think that's why we always joke about her being the rebel child.
Nothing really phases her. 
She's also become quite the artist this year. She's gone from stick and circle people, to full-blown portraits of her siblings in a year. 
She's learned to write some words, and perfected her name in many different designed-by-her fonts. 
She experimented with swimming without floaties, and lost just a little bit of her little, adorable accent. 😜
I'm looking forward to seeing what this year brings this crazy little blondie. She'll start school in September!
Benny: What can I say about the little guy? He went from 2 to 3, and that's a big leap. He is all of a sudden no longer a baby. He joins in everything the girls do, adding his boyish charm to every game. He's started talking a whole bunch.  Although totally unclear, he has a lot to say, and most of the time it's pretty entertaining. 
He surprises me with some of his words he uses. He used the word "winch" the other day talking about a truck, and "water meter" pointing at the meter against the wall. The year brought tantrums and snuggles, and everything I enjoy with having a toddler.  He's sweet, and tells me he "lubs" me at least a handful of times every day, and falls asleep cuddling me in my bed every night. 
He's had his first real toboggan session, and we've fed his Paw Patrol addiction. He's growing into a little person and it's so much fun to watch! 
2016, Thank you for being so good to us!

No comments: